Friday, July 18, 2008

An Interview with Alison Jay

By Michelle M. Mead
WHIMSY-Spring 2003

Regular readers of WHIMSY know just how much I admire the work of illustrator Alison Jay. I hope that you enjoy this interview with a talented, friendly lady as much as I enjoyed conducting it.

MICHELLE: Where did you study art?

ALISON: I studied graphic design at the London College of Printing
and specialized in illustration and animation in the second year.

MICHELLE: How did you get started illustrating children’s books ?

ALISON: I started by illustrating anything and everything I was asked to in all areas of illustration including advertising, design, editorial and publishing. I illustrated a couple of
children’s book covers, then poems and short stories in collections with other illustrators until finally I was asked to illustrate a whole picture book- I was absolutely thrilled.

MICHELLE: I’ve read that you have also illustrated greeting cards.
Do you still do this?

ALISON: Yes, I would still illustrate greeting cards but haven’t been asked for a year or so. I illustrated every occasion except a Christmas card which I would love to do.

MICHELLE: What is your preferred medium to work in?

ALISON: I work in a quick drying oil paint called "Alkyd" on paper.

MICHELLE: Do you have a favorite book of all the ones you’ve illustrated?

ALISON: I think so far I enjoyed working on "If Kisses were Colors." I loved painting the animals running around like children.

MICHELLE: Is there an artist/illustrator that inspires you?

ALISON: There are lots of illustrators I admire including Michel Sowa, Louise Brierley, Delphine Durand and Lane Smith. I also love the tiny detail in the backgrounds of some early Renaissance painters like Pisanello and Hans Memlinic. They must have used paintbrushes with only a couple of hairs. I am also inspired by Folk Art.

MICHELLE: What was your favorite book as a child?

ALISON: I can’t think of any favorite book, but the illustrations by Beatrix Potter, Sir John Tenniel and Arthur Rackham are all wonderful classics which seem to stick out. But any illustration with lots of detail would keep me quiet for a long time. Although very simple, I enjoyed Quentin Blake’s illustrations. I loved the humor in them.

MICHELLE: How do you do the crackle glaze effect that is on some of your artwork?

ALISON: It is a special varnish I paint on when the illustration is finished.

MICHELLE: Do you do art shows?

ALISON: I have had a few small exhibitions, but my time is mainly taken up with children’s books these days.

MICHELLE: "William and the Night Train" is filled with dreamlike pictures of a train ride. Did you watch passengers on a train to help with your paintings?

ALISON: Not really-the descriptions of the people were mostly in the story. The others I made up, but I would like to travel on a train with people carrying pigs in baskets!

MICHELLE: "A Ladder to the Stars" deals with death and the passing of time in such a beautiful way. Did you enjoy painting the sun, moon and stars?

ALISON: Yes, I love painting strange things with faces. I had already illustrated a few greetings cards with sun and moon characters, and I am working on a book now that features a moon.

MICHELLE: I really love how "The Shore Beyond" shows two girls following their dreams. What advice would you give children who dream of becoming an illustrator?

ALISON: I would say to draw anything and everything, and always carry a sketchbook with you.

MICHELLE: Also in "The Shore Beyond," the girls weave a basket boat to sail away in. Did you watch someone weaving a basket for
inspiration?

ALISON: No, but it would have been very helpful if I had. I got the reference from books.

MICHELLE: "The Race" was one of my 10 picks for best picture book in our WHIMSY Awards for Excellence this year (2003). It is a fun take on the classic tale of "The Tortoise and The Hare." In what ways did you make the Tortoise seem slow and the Hare seem hurried?

ALISON: Well, the Tortoise always looks very relaxed as he is just enjoying his cruise. I tried to make his expression look very calm and happy as he takes his ease fishing an dining on deck of the ship. In contrast, the Hare who is so desperate to win the race, always looks stressed and worried as things go from bad to worse. Also, the Hare’s ears are usually flying backwards to emphasize the speed he is traveling.

MICHELLE: The Tortoise and the Hare pass some famous landmarks on their journey. Did you create the paintings of them from photographs?

ALISON: Yes, I got reference for the countries mostly from photos in books and on the internet, and some memories of countries I have visited.

MICHELLE: In "A World of Wonders," you were able to travel the globe with your paintbrush-was that fun?

ALISON: Yes, it was very exciting to try and capture the look and feel of different countries, and as the poems were so imaginative, it was great fun to paint. I especially liked "The Circle and the Poles," and the idea of the north and south poles being "plates of white ice cream."

MICHELLE: "Picture This" is a wonderful word book that allows children to use their imagination to tell the story. Do you enjoy making books like this?

ALISON: "Picture This" was such an amazing opportunity for me as an illustrator as there was only one word per page, there was all that space to use. I created a whole world within the book and had to draw out a map so when things appeared later in the book and from different angles, I knew what else could be seen and where trees, etc., should be placed. After illustrating this book, I have always tried to put in little details and events not in the story. I hope children notice them, I’m sure they do.

MICHELLE: You have a new book, "If Kisses were Colors" coming out in the States at the end of March (2003). Can you tell us about that?

ALISON: Again, I really enjoyed illustrating "If Kisses were Colors." It was great that the publisher allowed me to create five animal characters who keep appearing throughout the book. Also, as I mentioned before, I like painting faces on strange things, and had fun illustrating the acorn and pebble.

MICHELLE: Are there any projects that you are working on currently?

ALISON: At the moment I am working on a book about a little boy and the Moon and again putting in lots of incidental details in the backgrounds.

MICHELLE: Of all the great things you have been able to paint, what is your favorite?

ALISON: I think my favorite things to paint are animals and weird things with faces and legs. I also like painting insect characters, especially bees and lady bugs, but haven’t managed to fit many into my work yet, so if you notice them cropping up, you’ll know why.


In closing, I would just like to say a huge thank you again to Alison Jay. She was as absolute pleasure to work with, and made me like her even more than I did before, which was a whole heck of a lot, as she is my favorite illustrator.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Glad you got to interview your favorite illustrator - this was a perfect way to combine your love of art & of kids books! It was great to read her inspirations & methods for each book. Do you know if she has any new work coming out?